The group shall be called the UK Political Studies Association Britishness Specialist Group.
- to encourage the research of Britishness within the specialist group and across the PSA. To provide a forum where PSA members can network and collaborate on individual and group research and publications;
- to organise panels at the PSA Annual Conference on themes relating to Britishness;
- to organise Britishness specialist group conferences;
- to develop inter- and cross-disciplinary seminars, workshops and/or conferences with other PSA Specialist Groups;
- to establish links with other professional bodies within the UK and abroad to enhance the role of the PSA as the primary association of political scientists in the research and analysis of debates concerning Britishness;
- to organise panels on Britishness at major national and international conferences, such as the APSA Annual Conference;
- establishing and maintaining an email newsletter service for members, providing details of forthcoming conferences, publications and research/employment opportunities;
- to provide a web presence and research resource to exchange information on events, publications, seminars and opportunities relating to teaching and research on Britishness;
- to address concerns raised by bodies such as HEFCE and SFC concerning the role of Higher Education institutions in developing active and informed citizens, and sustaining civlised, more tolerant and inclusive citizenship and communities through teaching and learning about identity, citizenship and Britishness.
- to liaise with schools and education organisations to promote the teaching of themes relating to Britishness in primary and secondary schools across the UK and beyond.
Membership shall be open to all members of the UK Political Studies Association. Membership will also be open to members of other professional associations, at the discretion of the Secretary.
The officers of the group are:
- The group convenor. He or she shall hold office for three years and, once the founding convenor’s term has expired, shall be elected by separate vote from among the members at the group at the group’s AGM (or equivalent). He or she must be a current PSA member. The convenor shall be eligible for re-election. Sharing the post of convenor between two people shall be permitted.
- The treasurer. He or she shall hold office for three years and, once, the treasurer’s term has expired, shall be elected by separate vote from among the members of the group at the group’s AGM (or equivalent). He or she must be a current PSA member. The treasurer shall be eligible for re-election. Sharing the post of treasurer between two people shall not be permitted.
- The secretary.He or she shall hold office for three years and, once the founding convenor’s term has expired, shall be elected by separate vote from among the members of the group at the group’s AGM (or equivalent). He or she must be a current PSA member. The secretary shall be eligible for re-election. Sharing the post of secretary between two people shall not be permitted.
Records shall be kept by the treasurer and made available for inspection by any member of the group if so required. These records will include minutes of any meetings and the annual report. Current membership lists shall be maintained.
Vacation of Office
Each officer of the group shall vacate his or her office upon resignation or upon dismissal be resolution of a general meeting of the group.
- The annual general meeting shall be held during the PSA annual conference each year or at another time, at the decision of the convenor. Not less than 14 clear days notice of an annual general meeting shall be given.
- Other general meetings shall be called at the discretion of the convenor or at written request of not less than six members of the group. Notice of not less than three clear days, excluding weekends and bank holidays shall be given.
- Either type of meeting can be held, at the discretion of the convenor, using telephone or other electronic media instead of an actual gathering.
- Applications by the group to the PSA for grants of money shall be made at the discretion of the convenor.
- The treasurer and convenor may decide to make available sums of money to facilitate the presence of speakers at the PSA annual conference or other appropriate academic conferences. In that case, a decision on the amount to be made available will be decided no later than two months prior to the conference and bids for funding wil be invited from the group’s membership. Once all bids have been received, the convenor and treasurer will decide how to allocate the money.
- Only PSA members are eligible to receive funding from the group for any activity.
- >On vacating office, the treasurer of the group shall hand over the books of account to his or her duly elected successor.
The group shall be governed by the appropriate clauses of the PSA constitution with regard to any matter not covered by this constitution.
Amendment of the Constitution
This constitution may be amended or altered only by a resolution supported by two-thirds of the members present and voting at a general meeting, provided that no alteration shall contravene any part of the PSA’s Constitution.
This constitution shall be made available to all members of the group by request